Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Bird Houses - Home Depot Kids' Workshop

As I've mentioned before, Home Depot has FREE children's workshops on the first Saturday of every month. They give your children dangerous weapons tools to create the project of the month. We've made catamarans, race cars, art caddy's and many other things. It's very simple.


You go, sign in and receive a packet with instruction.

This week the kids got to build Bird Houses.



You're given a little pile of wood pieces to assemble.
Donny gets started on his right away.
Remy has to organize his pieces and tools into nice lines and neatness.
I got to enjoy my Starbucks chai tea while taking lots of pictures,

which is the equivalent of blog material heaven to me.

The hubby came along this week and helped Remy.
I love this next photo...a father and son working together.
Donny's almost done. See that little girl in the background? She was there with her father, and she watched HIM build HER project. What's up with that? The point is for the KIDS to do it.


There were a lot of little kids there with their daddies, you can tell the moms must have needed breaks. lol But, then there are some mommies and some with both parents. There was one little kid, he had to be at least 2 years old or so, running around holding a hammer, sucking on it. Didn't seem very safe to me, but I'm not one to parent other people's children. Made me wonder what those hammers went through though...and made me want to break out the Purell on my children's hands. ick
Here's an overview of the kids' workshop area. It's a little loud with all that hammering.
and the uncomfortable stool-buckets we're supposed to sit on. Don't let that stop you though.


Ta da! A finished bird home.










17 comments:

Karen said...

Looks like fun! The two year old with the hammer made laugh. Is that wrong?

Insane Mama said...

I used to take my kids to attend those workshops Coolio!

Angela said...

Looks like a great activity for a few summer hours! Thanks for visiting my site for SITS yesterday. I love your new blog design!

Jules said...

We've gone to a couple of these too. Makes that kids think their experts with hammers and nails...... and makes me want to hide all the hammers and nails when we get home. LOL!

Deb@Mommie Mayhem said...

Thats pretty cool. Im going to take my boys to the local Home Depot. They love to play with dangerous weapons ... umm I mean tools lol. Thanks for the great info!!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

That's cool! I can't wait until we get to do stuff like that!

And, good job Remy and Daddy! It turned out perfect. Now we just need the pictures of the birds using it!!

CrystalChick said...

Ahhhh.... how nice. Noisy, but nice.

Hey, what's with hubby wearing dark sunglasses inside?? Is he hiding from a old client that's out now??? hehe
He does look mysterious though. ;)

CrystalChick said...

Oh dear .... I've slipped down in the comment ratings again, so this one is just to play catch up.

Gretchen said...

We don't have one of those near us. It looks like a lot of fun though!

Rhea said...

Hubby is a vampire and has to wear dark glasses when out in public. hehe

Ok, just kidding. I'm always getting on him for wearing his dark sunglasses. He's light sensitive, I guess.

Skeller said...

Yet another great photo story. Love the idea of you happily snapping away while drinking your beloved tea ... perfect blog fodder indeed. I also love the father-son hands-on project photo - it's simply wonderful!

Cristin said...

I've seen the signs and have always wondered about those workshops... I'll be telling Daddy about this. I think he and Graham would love it.

Jennifer said...

you know... i always mean to go to that w/ my son. dammit. for some reason I can't ever seem to remember them till it is too late.
my SIL works at Home Depot... and she is always telling me to go... well after the fact of it happening she will say... why didn't you go. i need a huge hand to smack in in the head that morning and say... TODAY is the kids workshop at home depot!! duh!!

lol

looks like everyone had a good time... well in your family. :) the bird house is very cute. I also love the pic of Remy's & your hubby's hands!! :)

xoxoxo

Rhea said...

Put it on your Calendar! The first Saturday of every month!! FREE You can drop in any Home Depot anytime between 9am to noon.

Angie's Spot said...

Sadly, I was the parent finishing my kid's project at my local HD several months ago. After that, I realized that my oldest was too young for this workshop. Maybe we'll have more success in a few years. :-)

trublmaka said...

The photo of father and son's hands should so be printed and framed. Its got that "special" look about it..
I love those kinds of pics.
Maybe shade it in black and white?

Hubby looks like he's incognito.. or on holidays in hawaii! Too cool lol

House looks great - maybe you can get the boys to build themselves a cubby house or fort at home now? They oughta be experts eh?
xoxo

Valarie Lea said...

Wow Hubby is in the post again!! I believe this is a record. :)