Friday, June 27, 2008

I have plans.


I need to have plans. I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed with the kids home for summer. I love our free time together, but more often than not, I'm hearing, "I'm bored."


They haven't been interested in any of the summer camps I've mentioned.


We try to do something active each day, whether it's swimming, roller skating, laser tag or riding bikes.


But, I'm feeling the pressure to be a good mom and expose them to new things and to do exciting adventures. Does anyone else feel this pressure?!


Here are my plans for the next few days. Today we're going to a natatorium in a nearby town. I've never been, although the kids have. My goal is to get their energy out and take pictures.


Tomorrow morning we're going to go to our small town farmer's market. I've been wanting to go since we moved here and have yet to, so tomorrow's the DAY to do it. Gosh darnit.


I want to start geocaching. If you don't know what this is, look it up or click on my link, because it looks like treasure hunting and nature hiking all in one. My kids will LOVE it. We're going to start that tomorrow or Sunday.


I have books to start teaching them Latin and Spanish. I've started but then forgot about it for a few weeks. Sad. I want them to know foreign languages...their minds are like sponges right now and they can soak up new vocabulary.


I also have summer workbooks for kids going from kindergarten to 1st grade and 5th grade to 5th grade. Those are full of exercises to keep the kids' minds sharp.


These are my plans....I'm determined to stick to them. If I don't, I might loose my mind... I'm sick of their bickering and fighting and boredness.


The house has gone to hell right now because the kids have tornadoed through it. Hurricaned through it. It's a danger zone.
I'm spending night and day with these little buggers...and parts of it are very enjoyable. Other times I'm too busy worrying about what I should be doing or what I could be doing or what would be best for them. How do I turn this worrying off?!


What are you guys doing with your kids right now?!!

12 comments:

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

We have lived the whirlwind of June...never a dull moment. And next week is the first week we don't have something scheduled. We are keeping up with our school year exclusions - of no technology except in the evening or on weekends. But we haven't had time for them to complain yet :-)

Unknown said...

My big plan was to take them to take them to the market in our "old Town" but seeing as it is 3am here...& I am still on the computerwe will see how motivated I am ...& of course I am taking them to see Daddy in the hospital again... LUCKY HIM...

CrystalChick said...

It already sounds like you have a very full and active life with the kids. I really wouldn't worry. You're doing great and have way surpassed me. My son is almost 15 though and getting ready to participate in a summer program at a local community college so I'm going easy on him for now. He has a few chores to do thru the week and spends time with us here and there, might go with me to Barnes too! But if he wants to just sit and jam on his guitar or go play b-ball with his friends that's fine. We're very relaxed over the summer.

Angie's Spot said...

So far, we've done lots of swim lessons, ballet class and backyard playtime. During July, I'm hoping to get to the children's museum more often and start working on the workbooks that I purchased earlier this year. I constantly feel like I'm doing my girls a great disservice by not doing more or going more places. Then, I try to step back and remember that I don't necessarily remember any of the places or things that my caregivers did with me. I only remember that they cared enough to spend some time with me.

Kiera said...

I dont know how you do it all. Seriously, it's hard work entertaining your kids every single day. I have a hard time finding time for it all. You are my inspiration!

All Things BD said...

Well right this MOMENT, the kids are sleeping, but in general, I've crammed our summer vacation into our van and driven it to Southern California for a month.

That has certainly broken up the monotony and eliminated the boredom factor. However, it's also eliminated the savings account factor, so there's a trade off.

tearese said...

My mom always said it wasn't her job to entertain us, and if we were bored we could clean the house. I think you do way more than most people. I wouldn't worry.

Rhea said...

Thanks, guys, for your feedback! It's always SUPER appreciated it. I wrote that post in a fit of craziness...feeling overwhelmed. Doing much better today...I think.

Debbie said...

I feek the exact same way! I don't want the summer to go buy having just gone to the pool. I live near Washington DC so we are going to take advantage of all the museums etc since my kids love taking the metrorail into town and seeing the dinosaurs, air and space etc. I also let my daughter set up a private blog so that she can sharpen her writing skills. She is going into third grade, is an avid reader and a terrific writer for her age. It is something she really enjoys doing. It is a great way to keep her interested in writing as well since she sees Mommy spending so much time "writing."

Mama Dawg said...

I work in the day so my mom's home with my daughter. She pretty much sleeps in til about 8 or 9, watches some TV, plays and then is off to the pool from 12:30 til 5:30 every day. At her request, I assign her "homework" to do every day. She gets a kick out of school.

Utter Basketcase said...

I'm actually shocked that your kids are bored??? But you are always keeping them busy doing heaps of fun things! Heck! I know I'd be exhausted with all the fun you have to offer! *GiGGLeS* xx

Jules said...

Ooooo..... geocaching. I want to do that with my kiddies too!