Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Conspicuously Creative

Sandy at I Beati gifted me a wonderful award!! I love being called creative. Thanks, Sandy!!








So, we were in the car the other day, and Remy pipes up from the backseat:


"Mama, give me your finger."


Now, if you have boys, you know this is dangerous. Who knows what he has planned. He has a slinky in his hand at the time, and I'm driving. So, my response is:

"No way, Remy. My fingers are precious right now." (I have a hurt thumb at the moment that was sliced open by a broken bowl and then burned with silver nitrate at the ER. To say it's sore is an UNDERSTATEMENT.)


Remy turns to Donny.


"Donny, let me see a finger."


And, Donny responds, "Nope. I have trust issues."


My jaw drops open. Excuse me?! What?!


I burst out laughing. Remy wants to know what's funny, so I have to explain.

Donny tells me he heard that somewhere and thought it was funny. Oh,yeah, it was funny alright.


I just never know what these guys are going to say, I swear.





Another enlightening conversation in the car:


Remy: I know what "dufus" means.

Donny: Oh, yeah? What does it mean?

Remy: It means "moron."

Donny: What does moron mean?

Remy: It means butthead.

Me: Remy!!




We had to drive into Dallas today to take my dad to the airport. We have two airports in Dallas, the huge one, DFW and a smaller one, Love Field. We went to Love Field, which is in the middle of the city, and since we live north of Dallas, with traffic and all, it's a good 45 minute or more drive one way.


Before we left, I reminded both boys to pee, grab books and/or things to keep them busy in the car for two hours. Donny grabbed a book and Remy said he'd read a book that was already in the car. I told him to grab something else as well, because I knew he'd fly through that book. It was a search and find book he'd done over and over again. He promised me it would take him an HOUR to get through the book.


Yep, fifteen minutes into our drive, Remy says, "Mama, I'm done with my book!" Unbelievable.


Luckily I had packed markers, colored pencils, drawing pages and an activity book as well as his Nintendo DS. I know how to be prepared, I've learned it's essential.


If we end up somewhere without books or toys with us, then we pull out our trusty friends I Spy, which I can only play for so long) or work on making up our own stories.


And, my boys love to draw. They prefer to play board games (we just got Trouble & Jenga) and our favorites are Monopoly, Sequence and Blokus. They love to play sports or swim. But, every now and then, a little down time is required, and I keep a blank book in my purse that they occasionally add to. I'm going to scan some of those drawings and add them to this post. They're a little freaky, but very creative...
These are pretty much all Donny's drawings:


And, this last colorful one is Remy's.

19 comments:

Angie's Spot said...

Congrats on your award! Well deserved. :-) And I love Donny's drawings! (Remy's colorful one too) I see some talent there. Apparently the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.

Michelle said...

Congrats on your award -- and a second one, too, at Angie's Spot! It's your lucky day!

I love the drawings. Very artistic, and obviousl quite creative. I can't wait until my wee ones start drawing like that (we're still at the hands are circles phase).

Jennifer S said...

Great award--congratulations!

You have creative boys, too. (not to mention funny!)

CrystalChick said...

Cool award.
Neat drawings.
Prepared Mom.
My favorite games growing up were Clue, Monopoly, and Trouble.

i beati said...

I have trust issues . How cool . That Annie is a smiling dog Boy is she something. You are blessed!!! sk

Catherine said...

I didn't succeed in sending my first comment.
So, here it is, Picasso said :“It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child”. Doesn't he summarize perfectly the adults'quest to find again their child mind?

Claremont First Ward said...

Those conversations are priceless! Trust Issues? Love it.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

You are just an award queen! And I need the opposite of all the awards that you get. Maybe my opposite award for this one would be "Conspicuously, No Play-dough Allowed" or "Conspicuously Craftless" or something. I still want a purposeless award.

I love Donny's "Trust issues." I think I would have trust issues with a young boy asking me to pull his finger. Or any boy for that matter :-)

Skeller said...

Snicker. "I have Trust Issues." snort. spew my coffee. clean up mess. hehe.

Anonymous said...

I got here from Willow Manor by way of the Brit located in Oklahoma in tornado alley.

I read the pull my finger thing and busted out laughing. Especially when it came to the "trust issues."

GoMommy said...

Wow-they are pretty creative!

CrystalChick said...

There's a meme from Jules over at my place if you care to do it. I'm not tagging anyone just thought you might want in. :)

Valarie Lea said...

Cool drawings very artistic. :)

When I am prepared Logan never plays with anything. When I am not prepared he is into everything and I really need those markers. :o)

Anonymous said...

just so awesome how kids can draw without any limitations or rules and come up w/ stuff no adult ever could. love the Picasso quote Catherine contributed; thanks, I'm definitely adding that one to my journal!

Jen said...

We have very interesting car conversations as well. Some are silly, others are very deep and some discuss the feature. My 3 year old is very profound in his own right. :)

storyteller said...

Congrats on the award! Your Lab looks like a slightly older (and perhaps a bit larger) version of my Molly girl. Aren’t Labs wonderful fur-friends!
Hugs and blessings,

Utter Basketcase said...

hahahaha kids are priceless! And your boy has talent, those are some great drawings! xx

Jules said...

Congrats on the award....... and I love the boys' drawings!

Jennifer said...

I think that these drawings are really good!! it would be cool to frame them and hang them up in the house... maybe in a playroom or family room or even in their own bedrooms. I love kids drawings. Trevor is just getting to where you can sort of figure out what he has drawn. lol :) I love all his drawings and I save and cherish each and every one. :)

a book like that is a GREAT idea!!


xoxoxoxoxox