Thursday, December 9, 2010

My Ullage Theory

So, I have a theory.
(Yes, I occasionally come up with theories.  Remember my Twilight Theory?)

I spend a lot of time thinking.
I'm more of an observer of life than a doer.
I recharge by being alone.
I'm an introvert.

And, wow, I'm way off subject now.

Anyway, my theory is involving ullage.
Ullage is one of my new words,
It's the word for the amount that falls short of filling a bottle.
The space between the liquid and the top.






Cool, huh?

Well, the other day I was filling out answers to one of those "Getting to know you better" memes on Facebook, and one of the questions was "Do you see the glass half-full or half-empty."


My answer was that most of the time I see the glass half-full.
And I really believe that.
I do see the positive sides of things MOST of the time.
But not always.






And this let me to think...I don't think I ever see anyone answer that question as "half-empty."
Yet, I know there are pessimistic people.
So, do we all lie to ourselves about being pessimistic?


Can we not see our own pessimism?
Is it something others must point out to us?
What percentage pessimistic do you have to qualify for in order to be labeled pessimistic?
Are there pessimistic intervention groups?








If you really evaluate yourself, are you optimistic or pessimistic?

How do you really approach your life?


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I'm an optimist or a pessimist, but I'm definitely requesting an 'ullagy' at my funeral, which is really the last thing I have to look forward to.

How's that for a ray of sunshine? ;)

Belle said...

I am definately a pessimist. I have to give myself a pep talk just to get out of bed in the morning.
I come by it honestly. I asked my grandma once how things were going and she said, "Ok, right now, but you never know."

CrystalChick said...

I'm definitely an optimist (us Sagittarians have to be, it's in the manual) .... however, I have periods of pessimism. It might only be a few hours here and there or if I have to see my inlaws.. a few days. But I always try to get back to the happy, humorous part of myself. :)