Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Why Twilight is Unhealthy for Girls (and women!)

I read the Twilight books.
I enjoyed reading them.
I was swept up in the romance and uniqueness...

and I enjoyed the first movie.

BUT, if you really think about it...maybe the message isn't very healthy for females.

Bella can't exist with Edward.
(Granted he can't seem to exist without her either.)















Love isn't really like that.
It can be powerful and consuming...
but I think I'd prefer the message for tweens and teenagers to read is
that we females can function on our own.

Do I sound bitter?
Or butch?
I am going through a divorce, so maybe I am biased.

And don't get me wrong, I loved the books...but a little part of me didn't like that message.
I prefer strong heroines who can kick butt,  honestly. 




9 comments:

Susie said...

It's not just you. I have another blog with a group of girl friends and one of the authors penned (or typed) on this very subject. Check it out:

http://workplayhome.blogspot.com/2009/11/i-neglected-my-family.html

kristi said...

Yeah, pretty much right on the money!

Unknown said...

Agreed and one of the reasons I have never had any desire to read any of these books.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I thought the same thing when I read them. Especially the second one where she doesn't even want to exist without him. Bella is the whiniest, weakest heroine I have evah read.

What was interesting was that my daughter did not identify with her at all. She was Edward for Halloween last year.

Now the Hunger Games...that is a kick butt heroine!

Unknown said...

I TOTALY agree. I found Bella quite annoying actually.

Unknown said...

I am right there with ya! Give me a strong heroine any day. I did read the books, and you know, I hoped through the entire second book that Bella went for Jacob.

Cristin said...

Not a whole lot different from Romeo and Juliet... at least Bella and Edward live forever instead of offing themselves.

Amy said...

I agree with you! Totally! :)

Lepra said...

I really have to agree with you on this. You said everything perfectly. I am a teenager and reading these books I saw right away that it is just a dream.
Sorry Bella is not my favorite character and your right about wanting to read about a heroine instead of a whinner. Thank you for posting something that all teenagers need to read.