Thursday, January 15, 2009

Hobo Code

So, this is really weird, but I seem to be multiplying.





Today I am sharing a dirty little secret over
at Darcy's Life with My 3 Boybarians



AND


I'm giving you ten reasons why you shouldn't move to Austin
at UpTake.

Vacations


********************************************************************


Hobo is a term that generally referred to
homeless, wandering people who usually hopped freight trains.





I bet you didn't know that hobos had their own lingo in the 1940s
as well as their own code.

This code was a secret system of symbols written with chalk or coal to provide directions, information, and warnings to other hobos.



I love this idea.
Imagine tons of hobos wandering the country, communicating with each other through symbols.

Language/symbols/secrets are a way to bring people together.
To make them feel closer.
To help and support one another.

But it also sets others apart.
That's the purpose, really.

I digress.
What I wanted to say was, I think this is a great idea!
I'm going to think up my own symbols and start leaving them around.
Outside stores, restaurants or friends' houses..
except, chalk won't work, I'm going to use spray paint.
probably a glittery pink or purple.

Now to think of symbols.

Maybe a big "B" for bloggers?
and a big $ for expensive restaurants and stores?

What?
What are you trying to tell me?
There's already a system like this in place?
On the Internet?

Well, darnit, thanks a lot for crushing my dreams and ideas.

(Googling "hobo" on the Internet turned up a lot of cute bags.)



Any good ideas on your end?
Any hobo stories?
Any good ideas for symbols?



18 comments:

lynette355 said...

My DH use to hop on trains when he was in high school and wanted to get away. I can't imagine. Of course he also had to call his brother a few times to get back home after finding himself 100+ miles away. LOL
I like having secret codes. Like Olive Juice. Yeah Olive Juice. In movies when they "mouth" I love you it does not look like I love you. But if they say Olive Juice slowly. It looks like I love you. Try it! Anyway it is our public code for I love you.

CrystalChick said...

I've got nothing over here.

But I definitely think the world would look neat with a little more glittery purple spray paint around. Start dressing up park benches and cross walks.

I was working on a collage of pictures of moi. They are so fun.

Rudee said...

I like the idea of purple painted symbols. I own a Hobo handbag. I love it a lot.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I think there are hobo symbols of sorts on my house. They are only understood by kitties. All the strays know that this is a good place to come. Suckahs live here.

All Things BD said...

Okay you're bagging on my new hometown now, so we might have to have a throwdown where I beat you with my hobo bag. :)

And hobo symbols? Never heard of them. What a cool thing to unearth.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

That's a cool factoid.

But, I'm think your spray paint idea might get you into a little trouble. Just a little, though. Not too much!

Skeller said...

Yay Rhea! I loved your post over at Darcy's!!! You ROCK! (typed in my best Guitar Hero impersonation)

Britt said...

I love the symbol for Safe To Sleep In Barn. I'll never look at a funky smiley the same.

And now when I see graffiti, I'll be thinking of you Rhea.

Mama Dawg said...

No stories, but man, there are some days I'd like to have the freedom of a hobo.

KG said...

I had no idea hobos had a hobo code. That's the coolest thing EVER. I love it.

Anonymous said...

I actually did know that because I learned it from the "Kit" American Girl books (which you probably have no idea what I'm talking about b/c you have boys...) and it's really interesting. I had no idea ther were so many of those symbols.

Sorry your dreams of creating your own are crushed...you could still do it, maybe for the people out there like me that don't know about or frequent any websites that provide that kind of info? :)

the mama bird diaries said...

I'm so embarrassed. I don't have a good hobo story. Must come up with one.

Anonymous said...

See? Most people would think hobos were too drunked up to have codes and symbols like that. Not me. I'm hobo-tolerant over here.

Unknown said...

WIsh I could help...No Hobo stories... but it was a fun post!

Marrdy said...

I don't have a creative bone in my body. But this sounds like a great idea. A secret code that the children don't know!

Jen said...

those are cute bags. I got nothing. No ideas. My only interaction with a hobo was when I puked in ones 'home' aka box when I was pregnant with Hayden.

Star Forbis said...

Thank you so much for visiting my Blog today & Laughing with me.
Come back anytime.

Jill said...

I actually just learned about the signs on an episode of Criminal Minds. Homeless people (Hobos).. actually still use them in certain areas..