Friday, April 4, 2008

What do you give a pig with a sprained ankle?

Answer: An Oinkment!!

Bad joke, I know. Everyone can groan now. We have to make light of the issue somewhat, because my son's in pain! Yes, he sprained his ankle yesterday at school on the playground during recess. He heard a bad crack when he fell and assumed it was broken. It was pretty painful, and he couldn't even really walk on it. I got a call from the school nurse and rushed to pick him. Then we took a trip to the emergency center (instead of the pediatrician, then the xray center, then another dr) to have it xrayed and taken care of quickly. We were in and out in an hour, and the good news was it was NOT broken! YAY!! Here is a picture of him in the e-center, ice on his ankle (see it's swollen on the right side already like a ball) and his whole leg is scratched up.


This is the room they put us in...obviously the bone room. Look at all those crutches!

My son was using his baseball bat to hobble around as a crutch, until they put him in a wheelchair. This baseball bat.
And, here he is again as we got home...this time on real crutches with an air cast on his ankle. He can't walk on it yet. Our dog Annie is checking it out, sniffing everything.
She's very interested in what's wrong with her boy.

And, here's a close up of the air cast. Poor Donny!
But, at least it's not a break, and he is only out for a week. He was worried he was out of baseball season for good! This is my third ER trip in a few weeks. If you're interested, here is some info about the ER visit with my elderly father who lives with us and another post about how I was about to break him out of the hospital...and another ER visit with Donny where we learned some interesting stuff.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, poor kid. I did the same thing when I was in 4th grade...tore every ligament in my ankle! Hurt like hell. And they didn't have air casts then, I got an ace bandage and wooden crutches! My armpits really hurt! :-o

Hope he's feeling better soon!

Burfica said...

awwww the poor baby, your such a better mom than me. I used to sprain my ankles and or wrists about once a month. My mother would jsut wrap them with an ace and send me on my way.

Kiddo did it once I gave him some ibuprophen and wrapped it up and that was that.

I guess if no bones are protruding, or blood spurting i'm pretty mean. lol

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Poor guy. But you knew it was coming, right? Remember I told you things come in threes. You should be set for a while now!

I am always in a quandry over how you know to go to the ER. Katie hurt her ankle at the playground once, too. She was whinning so much that I finally took her. It was not broken. Just a strain. Got crutches and everything. Next day...she said she was fine. Ack...could have saved myself the ER deductible. BUT...oh, I would have died if it was really serious and we didn't take care of it...

Skeller said...

Awww, poor guy! But I'm happy with him (and you!) that's it's not broken and he'll be back playing soon. God speed in the healing!!

Jeff B said...

Maybe you should look into getting a frequent vistors card from the hospital. Pay for four visits and the fifth one's free.

I had an ankle sprain as a kid too. I remember it hurting like the dickens.

CrystalChick said...

OUCH! Glad Donny didn't break it tho! My son just got his thumb immobilizer off yesterday after his skiing/snowboarding mishap.
Way way way back when I was in 3rd grade I fell outside during recess. My knee got all skinned up so that is what the teacher was concerned about, but when I got back into class and couldn't write anything, I told her about it and went home I guess. Later that day I was wearing a cast for the broken wrist. :(

Rhea said...

Kim - I bet your armpits did hurt. Wooden crutches, huh? ouch

Burfica - He's broken ankles before, so I was worried about it, especially since he heard something crack when he fell and couldn't walk on it. I didn't want to take any chances.

Kat - Oh, my gosh, you did tell me about threes! I totally forgot. lol you're good. I'm like you, I usually go because I'd rather catch something quick than find out later it was serious. (and I'm a doctor's daughter, so I imagine all the worst stuff!)

Jeff - what a brilliant ideat! I'll mention that next time I'm at the ER. I need a frequent visit card, please.

Crystalchick - I am SO relieved it isn't a break. We've been through that before and it sidlines you for almost two months with the cast and healing time. Sorry to hear about your wrist.

Thanks, everyone, for visiting and wishing him well! I'll tell him, and he'll look at me like I'm crazy. lol

Susan - thanks for the speedy healing wishes! He is home from school today and totally worn out. He's sore from trying to get around school all day, poor guy.

OHmommy said...

Oh no.

But.

He looks pretty happy in those pictures. Handsome fella!

Rhea said...

OhMommy - Thanks! He was so happy it wasn't broken. He was also looking forward to the extra attention at school from his friends...although now he is home from school, exhuasted from trying to get around on crutches, sore and felt bad having to ask everyone for so much help. He's such a sweetie!!

TexasTanya said...

Loved the joke, but poor kid!

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog today! And, to respond to your question - I haven't actually had the lapband. I'm just now starting the research process. I'm hoping insurance will help with the cost, because I can't imagine that we'd pay out of pocket for it. I'm scheduled to attend a seminar this month at Baylor to get more info. I'm crossing my fingers. :)

Lady in red said...

considering that I ahve 4 very active boys I ahve had to make surprisingly few visits to the emergency department. NO broken bones except the occasional toe.

I am sure donny will be lapping up the attention from all his friends and the pain soon forgotten

Rhea said...

Texastanya - good luck with your research! I hope your insurance will cover it.

Lady in Red - I'm impressed with four boys you didn't end up in the ER more. pretty good.

Thanks for coming by!

Anonymous said...

Boys and hospitals seem to magnetically attract one another.
Kudos to you, faithful blogger, for ALWAYS having that camera handy (I was caught without yesterday).

Rhea said...

I'm definitely keeping my camera close these days. Uh, oh, what happened yesterday?