Friday, April 25, 2008

Potbelly pigs, Miss Goody Twoshoes, a scar, Latin, a shotgun and floating in bed.

6 Random Facts About Me

The Rules:

1. Link back to the person who tagged you.
2. Post the rules on your blog.
3. Write 6 things about yourself.
4. Tag six people at the end of the post by posting links to their blogsites.
5. Let them know they've been tagged by leaving a comment on their site.
6. And let your tagger know when your entry is up.

I've been tagged by Giggle, the creator of the Adventures of Rat Girl to do this meme, so here we go!

1. I had a pot belly pig in when I was in high school. I really wanted a puppy, but for some reason my mom talked me into getting a pig. I resisted. She took me to see them. Once I saw their adorable little faces, I knew I was lost, and I had to get one. We adopted Kory.



He had a little harness we attatched to a leash, so he could go on walks. He loved to have his belly rubbed. He would sit for food, follow us for food, pretty much do anything for food. He also would have marathon peeing sessions...once on our couch!



Every night he slept in my bed, burrowing under the covers. He was sweet and adorable and a wonderful pet!


2. I have never smoked or tried illegal drugs of any kind. I have only drank alcohol a handful of times. In fact, this is the ONLY picture I can find of myself with a beer in my hand. This photo is from when I was seventeen and in Salamanca, Spain where the drinking age was more like 16, rather than 21. I was always the designated driver at parties in high school. I just don't like losing control, I think.


3. When I was 12, I ran through a sliding glass door in our pool house and cut open my right hand. I ended up severing three and half tendons, was rushed to the ER by my mom, and had to have surgery. I then had to wear a brace for a long time and go through physical therapy to get the use back of that hand. I had to write with my left hand for a while, which was a mess. However, the bright side is that when I did get full use of my right hand again, my handwriting was somehow a lot, lot nicer than before the accident. I still have a wavy scar that goes the entire width of my hand. It's faded now, but you can still see it.


4. I started taking Latin in fifth grade at my elementary school, and fell in love with it immediately. I took it in 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th grade...and all of high school. (I also took Spanish during this time period) I even took some Latin in college. Now, I want to pass this along to my sons, so I am starting to teach them Latin at home with the Minimus books.



5. My dad taught me to shoot a gun when I was like 9 or 10. I've gone both deer hunting, quail hunting and skeet shooting with him. For those of you who don't know, skeet shooting is done on a practice range, where clay pidgeons (they don't look like birds though, just clay discs) come flying out and you try to shoot them. It's a fun way to practice!


6. Finally, growing up, I had a floatation bed. It's different from a water bed. It's less watery, because you have a mattress between you and the water part...so you just have a slight rocking/floating sensation, compared to a super mushy water bed. It was awesome. Our live-in used to rock me to bed at night by lightly pushing the bed...



So, there you go! Six random facts about me. I'm not sure who to tag...let's go with:

KP
Mama Bird
Tearese
Blondie
Jules
Valarie

And, if any of you don't want to do it, that's ok with me. I just feel obiligated to pass it along. :o) Enjoy!

23 comments:

CrystalChick said...

Oh girl you look about 10 in that picture! Put down that beer right now! LOL
I'm left-handed normally, so when I broke my wrist it was hard to write with the other hand, but now I can do stuff with my right like cut with scissors, etc. I still eat and write with my left tho.
Me and hub talk about going to a shooting range sometime but just never do it. When you mentioned quail hunting it reminded me of a comedian I like... Lewis Black.. and he does a little skit on when Dick Cheney had the accident hunting. It's a riot!

Have a great weekend.
I already was tagged by Giggles or I would do it!

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

I picked a good day to read your blog for the first time. This was fascinating.

KEEP BELIEVING

Amy said...

I thought the same about the picture - you look way too young to drink!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Nice to "meet" ya!

Amy @ prettybabies.blogspot.com

Jules said...

Hi Rhea,
Oooo...... thanks for the memememem.

** blows kisses here ***

I acturally did this a while ago - and it too me AGES to think of things to write. Uh..... that kind of makes me seem a bit slow doesn't it....... never mind. I wrote it all in a flash.

I have two other tags that I still have to do(that I'll fling your way).... after I return form my virtual island vacation that is. He he he.
Oh., and you didn't say..... will you be virtually coming? No water beds there. Beds over water though.

Indy said...

Fun post! I love the photos. Rhea, I have a question for you. You are always so nice to comment on my blog. Is there a way to comment back to your comment? I am new at this and have no idea. Thanks for you help.

Rhea said...

Crystal Chick - I promise I wasn't 10! I was 17. lol That beer put me on the floor too. Whew

I bet the skit about Dick Cheney is funny. That whole event was a nightmare. Sorry, I didn't realize you'd been tagged by Giggles.

Rhea said...

Angie - Thanks for coming by and reading today! Glad you enjoyed it.

Amy - Thanks for coming by! I never thought I looked so young in that picture, but I guess I do.

Jules - I'm definitely "in" for your BBQ, if the pictures are any indication of where we're going. That looked totally amazing. :o) You're going to fly me there, right?

Indy - Thanks! You can always comment over and over as many times as you want, on your blog or anyone elses. Just click on the comment secion and choose "post a comment" and then it should take you to the place to post comments. Does this make sense?

Utter Basketcase said...

HAHA! Fabulous!!!

I LOVE THE PIG!!! I WANT ONE!!!! SO CUUUUUUTE! :-)

Hubby was reading this with me, and he thinks the piccy of you with the beer is a really good photo! :-) Me toooo! We can't beleive that the legal drinking age was 16 tho!!! WOW!!!

Good on you for never having a smoke or drug in your life! You must be very healthy!

Awesome Meme! You get an A+ form meeee :-) xx

Rhea said...

Awww. thanks Giggle! I plan on blogging about that month I lived in Spain sometime soon. It was a fun, fun trip. We lived in a convent for most of the time, with nuns! And, we had a curfew, where they inspected us to see if we were drunk. hehe EVERYONE was.

I don't know how healthy I am, I just don't have those vices. We all have something that is our downfall or struggle though, always!

Thanks for the A+!!

KG said...

Heh - I've also been skeet shooting, but didn't do it until I was in high school.

Gene Bach said...

My middle daughter has hunted ducks with me several times and she, and her younger sister, have fished with me on many occasions. It's always cool to have them along.

Rhea said...

Law Student Hot Mama - There's something very satisfying about skeet shooting and seeing that clay disc shatter. (I hope I don't sound blood thirsty saying that!)

Gene - I've never hunted ducks. Do you try to get them while they're flying (if they can) or when they're sitting ducks. hehe, sorry, couldn't resist that joke.

San said...

Like Crystalchick, I was thinking, OMG she can't be 17 there!

That was quite an ordeal, the hand through the glass incident. But you now lift beers and shoot skeets like a champion! Good for you for not doing the drugs and the alcohol. Our society is far too medicated.

Floatation bed--that sounds heavenly. Your blog is too. I'm going to put you on my blogroll.

Rhea said...

San - Thanks! The flotation bed was so heavenly, I miss it!

Anonymous said...

wow - way to dig up the old photos.
I have always wanted a pet pig. I have toddlers instead!

Rhea said...

Uburburber - Since I got a scanner for my birthday, I've been going through my mom's photo albums trying to find good old pictures with fun stories attached. :o)

Valarie Lea said...

Hmmmm, Let me think about what I am going to say. I think I am pretty boring so I may have to ask my family what are some interesting facts about myself. On second thought I think I will just do this myself. :)

~**Dawn**~ said...

2. I am the same way. I look at the way other people act drunk & I don't want to look like that. Instead, I am the only sober person who knows how stupid everyone else looked. ;-) I stopped being the designated driver, though, when someone threw up in my 2 week old car. >=[

Rhea said...

Valarie - I think you can do it!

Dawn - Oh, that's horrible someone threw up in your car. I think that would have stopped me from being a designated driver also. Thank goodness that never happened to me. What a mess!!

Chatterness said...

Love the little "piggie!" Also, I do not drink either....I know mine has to do with the taste of alcohol and the fact that I'm already goofy enough!!! As for the princess mattress....you poor little rich girl!! lol

Rhea said...

Chatti Patti - He was the most adorable, sweet loving pet ever! Truly unique.

You're goofy enough without alcohol? That's nice! lol

tearese said...

hey...I made a comment on here and it disappeared! Darn it.

Rhea said...

Tearese - I didn't delete it or anything, I promise! I don't know what happened...