Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Magic Room



As young girls, we often dream about romance and our wedding day.
We buy into the Disney Dream, of princes riding up on white horses to rescue us from our ordinary lives.

But that's not usually how things turn out.
These days we have to be our own prince...
work hard to buy our own white horse and rescue ourselves.

And, I have to admit, I'd rather rescue myself than have someone else do it for me.

I just finished reading The Magic Room by Jeffrey Zaslow for the BlogHer Book Club.


It focuses on the a 7-generation Bridal store in Fowler, Michigan, stories about the family who has run it and the brides who buy their dresses there.

The stories were overwhelming.
many different brides and different issues.
But overall it touched on the hope that women have about their weddings
and the dreams parents and grandparents have for their daughters and granddaughters on their wedding day...
and how picking out the dress plays such a huge part of that. 

I married my high school sweetheart at age 19, pregnant and rushed,
but my wedding was magical and wonderful.

Now I'm 34, and I've grown up.
I have two wonderful boys, and I'm separated from my husband. 

I'm a bit bitter about marriage, so reading this book was emotional for me.
I found myself cynical about the love stories.
But, then there's the lining of hope that resides around the edges of this story...and I can't help but feel it.

Hope it such an important aspect in our lives. As is love.
Some of us get it wrong at first.
But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, right?

Join our discussion about weddings, love and marriage over on BlogHer Book Club.


I was compensated for this BlogHer Book Club review but all opinions expressed are my own.


No comments: