Friday, September 5, 2008

Madcap Prevaricator

One of my sons has a little issue with fibbing. I hesitate to use the "L" word. Let's just say he likes to embellish the truth. Or completely come up with his own truths. I don't know where he got his annoying little trait from...



He told his grandmother that he'd been trying new food recently, and that he'd been eating lots of "stinky tofu." Really, Remy? Really? Not at my house.

He once told an old lady in the shoe department at Dillards that he was an orphan. His parents had died.

If my older son Donny and I are talking about the dreams we had the night before, Remy shares his dream...which sounds remarkably like his older brother's, only changed slightly.

Our sweet Annie has been blamed for some pretty wild capers. I just don't think her paws are capable of throwing that sticky ball all the way to the ceiling.

Then, last week, he started telling me he had a locker at school. First graders don't have lockers. And, because we'd made such a big deal about his sixth grade brother practicing his locker combination before school started, I knew where this was coming from.

However, he kept talking about it. Wouldn't stop...but had a silly smile on his face and changed details a lot...so I threatened to email his teacher to ask her. And he told me I could. So, I called him on his bluff.

This is the email I received:

Yes, we do have lockers. We are so special because we are the only 1st grade class that has lockers! We only have lockers because our classroom does not have a closet like the other 1st grade classes. The fact that we have lockers in the highlight of our year!!! It is so funny how the kids get so excited about something like lockers!!! Remy was telling the truth!

So, now who's looking foolish and feeling ashamed? Yep. me. Just figures. The little stinker. Reminds me of the story of the boy who cried wolf.

On a related note, I was cleaning out my car while being robbed pumping gas and I found some of Remy's recent artwork folded up on the backseat. So, I decided to share my little madcap artist with you.

This first one made me smile. What he wants to be when he grows up.



And because I'm a good mom, I won't tell him that this is unlikely because:

1) He's white.
2) We don't have super tallness in our family.
3) He's white.

Actually, he's awesome at basketball. Really good. So maybe he could.

This next photo is a mystery. I can't tell if the guy with wings is attacking the volcano or if the volcano is attacking him? What do you think?



And this last one, made me smile even bigger. I don't know what the heck's going on.



I want your opinion on this one. While Remy's at school, give me your best guess at what's the story is, and I'll find out his version when he gets home. Let's see how close we can get...

My little stinker.


27 comments:

Unknown said...

White boys can jump! I love his artistic ability though. He is so thorough! He needs to illustrate a book for you. That would be a fun activity and such a great thing for him to have. There's your new job, Rhea...children's book author!!!

I think it is him attacking the volcano! Remy versus the volcano.

The last one, I had to stare at a while...sorta looks kie a double decker bus being over taken by a wave, but that may be my inherent fear talking and not the actual depiction of Remy's art....

He is the cutest thing. I just want to squeeze him! The embellishing is a good indicator of a creatively gifted soul.

Mama Dawg said...

Ok, on the first one, I think the guy is setting off positive energy that's preventing the volcano from erupting.

One the second one, it's a space rover.

All Things BD said...

I think the second one looks like a wave, with people in some kind of aquapods. Great drawings!

Live.Love.Eat said...

CUTE post about the lockers! It figures!!! Those pics look like stories coming out of the mind of a Ben 10 fan. Does he watch Ben 10 on Cartoon Network, the young boy who changes into different aliens to battle evil?

Also, my post today thought of you and your post about the carpool line.

Live.Love.Eat said...

I mean, my post made me think of you. DUH!!!!!

Live.Love.Eat said...

I mean, my post made me think of you. DUH!!!!!

Insane Mama said...

Obviously there are two drivers. And obviously they are on a tour bus driving through a tidal wave, with a shark behind them. It's perfectly clear to me.

Justine said...

First of all, my is that kid gorgeous! Secondly, Heeheeheeeeeeeeeee! He sure IS a liar! But too funny about writing the teacher.
The one with the volcano? It looks like the man is being shot with lava and he's on fire. The second one looks like a bus underneath a roller coaster to me.

Justine :o )

sassy stephanie said...

Hmm...I am thinking the second pic looks like a roller coaster or some really cool water ride.

Unknown said...

Love IM's comment! And ya got me...however, your first grader does draw better than my first grader, but don't tell mine that....

Shannon said...

OMG, I love the locker story! Priceless! That Remy, what a character!

I'm thinking the man is a super-hero and he is getting his powers from the volcano (like Superman gets his powers from the sun).

I am completely lost with the last picture, though!

Skeller said...

LOL!!!! Boy calling wolf, indeed. Feeling your pain....
:-D

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I have a little liar at my house too. She is in a perpetual state of being in trouble. One year she convinced her preschool teachers that we went to Alaska for Thanksgiving. She had so many details they were believing her. Until they asked me about it (because, really, who goes to Alaska at the end of November??) - and Madalyn looked at them like they were idiots and said, "I told you I dreamt this!"

And the pictures - it looks to me like the volcano is going to take that guy down.

And the second one. That man is driving a shark. When I was younger, someone told me that when they filmed Jaws, the people that Jaws ate had to wait inside the shark - and that it was so big that there were seats. Kinda like an airplane. So, maybe that same person talked to Remy...

TentCamper said...

the first one is Bear Grylls from Man vs. Wild about to climb a big mountain.

The second is obviously an airplane...with the pilot up top and the co-pilot below with the passengers.

The Beauty Bargainista said...

I just thought I would drop in and say hey! Its so fun to find other bloggers from Texas! (Im in Austin) :) Love all of your posts!
Off to go check more....

Annemarie said...

Your little one is so creative!!! I don't think that I ever was imaginative enough when I was younger to come up with such elaborate stories!! Too cute, and thanks for saying hello!!

Swirl Girl said...

First let me thank you for popping in - we share a lot of the same bloggy friends!

and - that looks like Remy is piloting an airplane or a submarine...he's a great artist for such a young kid.

is he a lefty by any chance!

also- I don't mind embellishment, but lying is totally a no-no around here (at least for the kids - mom's have to lie now and then)

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

It looks like some sort of underwater bus to me!

Cristin said...

Graham lies too...usually about whether or not he's pooped his pants.

Looks to me like a plane of some sort...

Ashley said...

Classic! I'm not sure what is going on in this picture but I'll guess -

It looks like waves ~ maybe that guy up top is like the captain guiding the wave and all the little minions under neath are powering it forward. I love how he initialed it. Signed artwork - already a pro.

Jen said...

just gotta love that little stinker. He is a really good artist though.

I was thinking the same thing as Shannon on the 1st picture and the 2nd is some kind of dragon plane.

I thought that I would have an upper hand and ask Hayden, he is a little boy after all, and he was no help. He said, "Mom, I just don't know."

Emily said...

What a cutie pie! I think it is funny he has a locker, my kindergartener has a locker this year too, how weird is that:?

I think the last one has something to do with piloting an airplane, only because my boys are obsessed with it and draw pictures like that all the time.

Susie said...

He's home already so, I won't venture a guess on his artwork. I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your narrative today:-) Kids really are the best material, aren't they?

Angie's Spot said...

Dream big Remy, dream big!

And it looks like an airplane or a bus with several passengers. But, I'll be interested to hear his take on it.

CrystalChick said...

Sweet pictures of Remy and neat drawings!

It's soooo weird that I have NEVER pumped my own gas. LOL In New Jersey we have attendants.

Anonymous said...

SOOOOOO adorable. The tall tales of boys. He may be white, but with hands that size I'm sure he's a GREAT b-ball player!

i beati said...

some serious sketching here !! sk