Thursday, August 28, 2008

Grand Master D

The last three days have been BUSY. The boys started back to school, which sounds like more freedom for me, right? WRONG.

The first two and half hours of my day are spent getting them ready for school, feeding them breakfast, making their lunches, and getting them both to school, which start at different times. Annie rides in the car with us for both drop-offs.

Then I come home and fill out the mountain of paperwork that the teachers send home. No homework for the kids...all for me. And, then I sneak in a little blogging in between job searching, tweaking my pathetic resume and more job searching. I also had to work on an assignment for my writing course that I take online through All Writer's. And, you should have seen the pile of dishes in my sink I tackled this morning...and the pile of laundry in my laundry room that I am currently working on as well.

In the afternoon I spend a good hour and a half sitting in carpool lines to pick up my children...with Annie in the car, of course.

We've had two football practices in the last three days (totaling over four hours of practice) in the 94 degree heat. (At least it's not 100!) And, Remy had a soccer practice. Did I mention I'm one of his team's soccer coaches?

So, last night I found myself crashing as I read to the boys at bedtime. No time to think up creative posts. In fact, as I sat and watched the two hour football practice yesterday evening, I had to work on a "Million words or less about your child" essay due today. That was for Donny's English teacher.

My post today is, guess what? The short essay I wrote about Donny to turn in.


Donny


Donny’s not allowed to be the blue pieces when we play Blokus because he wins every time. He doesn’t win quite as often at Monopoly, but he’s a masterful Poker player. Strategy games are his favorite sort, and he has a couple he plays on his computer at home, such as Age of Empires.

In his room is a collection of figures from Greek Myths, a subject he grew to love last year when every night for a month or so, before bed, we read a Greek myth. He gobbled up the Percy Jackson series.

We moved to the Dallas area a year ago from Austin, where he had lived his entire life. He was extremely disappointed to leave his friends behind, but has kept in contact with his best friend. They take turns flying to and from Austin to spend weekends together, and Donny even went camping with his friend’s family this summer through New Mexico and Colorado.

If given his way, we would have probably adopted a zoo of animals by now, but he has to make do with our one pet, a yellow Labrador named Annie, who sleeps with him every night. She’s completely devoted to her boy. He feeds her, exercises her and loves to play with her.



Donny’s room is covered in posters and sports trophies. The posters’ subjects cover everything from animals, to galaxies, to movie characters such as Star Wars and Indiana Jones. He truly loves to learn and usually asks above and beyond what he has to know, because he is curious.

His mind is as active as his body. He plays sports year round, switching with the seasons from basketball to baseball to soccer. For the first time ever, he has decided to play football, so that is a new sport for us this fall. He was nervous and knew nothing about the sport, but tackled it with his determination. He recently spent his own money to buy roller skates, which he then proceeded to wear around the house for weeks. I think he must be part fish too, because he can easily spend hours in the water and is a very strong swimmer.




Donny’s little brother is in first grade and quite the wild card. Donny is the most patient older brother I’ve ever seen. He is loving and caring yet he also likes to remind me what Supernanny would do, so that his brother is disciplined properly and doesn’t grow up to be spoiled.

I’m a writer, so it is disappointing to me that his weakest subject is writing. His strengths are in math and reading. He loves science as well. He is excited about music and chose to play the trombone in band. This is his first time playing an instrument, besides the recorder.

His father and I appreciate his honestly and intelligence but also enjoy his mischievousness and sense of humor. He’s up for an adventure and ready to try just about anything. The older he gets, the more we treasure and enjoy spending time with him. Our conversations are wonderful and mature, but can easily turn into a tooting contest to include his little brother.

Donny is a special gift in our family, and we hope you’ll enjoy sharing your time with him as much as we have and always will.

27 comments:

Mama Dawg said...

I can't believe you told his teacher he has tooting contests! I love it! I love you!

Mama Dawg said...

Was I really first?

COOL!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Rhea...you did a wonderful job on this. What a treasure to keep tucked away for your child. Donny sounds like a great young man and I am looking forward to many years of reading about his growth and that of the pip squeek!!! Love ya, ~m~

Karen said...

Oh Rhea, that actually brought tears to my eyes. You can hear how much you love him all through it. What a great gift for him to have something like this. Can you imagine how much his kids will love to read this about him one day?

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

What a sweet essay you wrote. But I am still stuck at the idea that you were asked to do such a thing! On the first day of school, Madalyn brought home homework for me - but it was more of a fill in the blank type exercise. Maybe I need to work on my writing skills to prepare for MY middle school homework...

Live.Love.Eat said...

Nope you're not busy at all :) Wow, I am exhausted. That was a great essay on your boy though, something you can always hold onto. And you're not the 1st person I heard talk of these carpool lines. I think I may homeschool!

Jennifer and Sandi said...

What a PRECIOUS PRECIOUS picture of him and Annie!! PRICELESS!

- Jennifer

Insane Mama said...

I find it so strange that I am crying, could be the PMS could be your beautiful words and your obvious intense love. Or maybe it's the tooting.

Hi Annie!

Unknown said...

Great Stuff......you did a wonderful job on this. What a treasure to keep tucked away for your child. You really wrote a sweet essay. But I am still stuck at the idea that you were asked to do such a thing! On the first day of school, Madalyn brought home homework for me - but it was more of a fill in the blank type exercise. Maybe I need to work on my writing skills to prepare for MY middle school homework...

Jen said...

I give you an A+ on that assignment. That was one sweet letter.

Anyway, to answer your questions. I did the photo collection with Picasa. It is a really cool program that can be down loaded for free.
And I am sorry to say but you guessed wrong. The baby in the swing is Quinn. Good try though.

Katherine said...

I'm a witness. This is true stuff. And, I'll confirm that Donny is a wonderful, smart, loving, curious, adventuresome child.

I don't ever remember doing homework like this ... but how great the teacher wants to know your child from your perspective. I approve!

Kori said...

I am an Alabama Fan except when when they play FSU. The boys have tooting contest at our house too. I could just see them hiding under a desk if I even mentioned the word toot in front of their teacher. lol

Thanks for visiting yesterday.

Valarie Lea said...

That is an awesome letter! You need to keep that and give that to him when he gets older. Great Job!

Although I can not believe ya'll had to write and essay.

trublmaka said...

That is beautiful Rhea!!
The photo of Donny and Annie, I think I'd have to say is one of my most favorites.

You're such a great, loving mother too. It shows in the behaviour of your boys! They are so lucky to have you so involved and full on with them!

I sympathise with you on the houework factor... I too have mountains of washing, folding and dishes to work my way through!
Though the car pooling.. my girl walks to school.. I'll be grateful when I've popped.. I really miss walking with her!

Love to you and your wonderful family x

Utter Basketcase said...

Busy busy busy!!!

The things I have to look forward to when my bean grows up and I have plenty more!!

And I don't even have a liscence yet! eeeek!!! xx

Aunt Julie said...

Rhea: I'm an English teacher, and I'd LOVE to have a parent like you on board! Bet both your boys can write, just like their Mama! Congrats on winning over at Lula's Place--she was gushing about you today, as well she should!

AdriansCrazyLife said...

I've been enjoying your blog. You've got some fun stuff on there. As for the Decor Elements designs, I sell them, but you can also find similar stuff at Michael's and places like that. They're kind of cool for dressing up your walls.

Justine said...

Oh, I just love this essay! I wish Mikayla's teacher would ask for one from me! How fun!!!!!!!! Donny sounds like a really great kid.
Funny that you seem to work so hard getting them ready for school in the a.m. I don't even get up wtih Mikayla anymore! That's our new thing this year. She gets up, gets herself ready, and then I get up at 6:30 just to make sure she's got everything together. On days she takes lunch, she puts it together herself. I guess girls are much different in this regard. Madison I wake up at 7:15, lay out her clothes for her and she does the rest. Fixes her hair (she's 7 btw), brushes her teeth, gets herself breakfast, etc., while I play on the computer. Aren't girls grand?

Justine :o )

Angie's Spot said...

Girl, I know about being busy these days. I seriously can't account for the last week. ANYWAY...

The essay you wrote was awesome! I hope I get an opportunity to write a narrative like that about either of my girls for their teachers. Great exercise for me and a lovely retrospective for their scrapbook. Ok, my scrapbook.

Marrdy said...

Oh, I love the doggie and boy picture. Priceless!!

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

Essay on your kid? As if!
You did a great job, though!

Candance said...

First, thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment!! I love it when us Texas Mommies find each other. And, to answer your question about my locale, I'm closer to the Oklahoma border than I am to downtown Dallas.

Okay, now, let me just say this essay is precious, but I am so glad we're not in your school district because I'd be way more of That Mom than I already am. An essay? About your kid? That's hardcore!!

Susie said...

You know, I bet you that is EXACTLY what that teacher was looking for. Every other parent probably writes about their medications and allergies and accomplishments. You captured the essence of your child. The teacher should use that as an example of what they are looking for when they say "Tell me about your child".

CrystalChick said...

You had to do an assignment for Donny's English teacher??? Wow. I have never heard of that. On one hand it's probably a wonderful idea, but hopefully they actually use the information to give the children a more personalized learning opportunity.

Gosh girl, you've been BUSY! I'd say give up either dishes or wash and blog more! LOL

KatBouska said...

I think this is really smart for teachers to do because it teaches THEM so much and it shows they care to know who your child is.

This was really well written...it would be fun to read what the rest of the moms in his class wrote!

Norm said...

I love reading your post very interesting, your son is so smart with his wonderful doggie...

Misty DawnS said...

This is truly, truly special. What fantastic children you have... and what a great mom you are.