Friday, March 28, 2008

The Importance of being Unimportant

I found out today that one of my brother-in-laws, (one of my five sisters' husbands) got to be at the New York Stock Exchange and help ring the opening bell. Very cool! What an important thing to get to do! One of those things I certainly will never get to cross off my To Do list. Way to go, Q!


Another of my brother-in-laws (another sister's husband) is on Easter Island this week or last week. What an important place to visit! I mean, who can say they've been to Easter Island? For those of you who don't know, Easter Island is rather mysterious, in the middle of freaking nowhere (way west of Chile in the middle of the Pacific Ocean) and has the awesome ancient statues sculped out of volcanic rock all over the island. Way too cool, M!




I'm pretty jealous...although I did hear there was some kind of insect infestation, which produces nightmaric images in my mind.


You know where I went yesterday? Not New York, the stock exchange or Easter Island. I went to the Dr's office, where I was made to feel very unimportant. I spent most my time in the exam room looking at this wall...



Which led me to start wondering if I had any of these diseases or disorders displayed so prolifically. I'm a bit of a hyperchondriac...I often end up on WebMD, researching esoteric diseases I'm convinced I have. Don't get me started.


I also went to baseball practice yesterday. Not a super important task to most people, but super important to me and the two young men pictured below. See Remy, my six year old left-handed, pinch hitter and Donny, my bored looking 11 year old carrying a lethal stick that doubled as a baseball bat during his little brother's practice...

Donny has a weird hat choice with his UT Longhorn jersey...



I've taken to carrying my camera everywhere, for blog material, and when I explain this to Donny, my eleven year old, he gives me this look...




So, feeling slightly unimportant after hearing about what my brothers-in-law are up to, I find the need to get therapy with shopping...some new shoes...




By the way, is it bad to feed the dog lasagna?

13 comments:

Chaos-Jamie said...

Ahhhhhhh, shoe therapy.

Gen Xers have '61-'81 birthdays. In case you care. :-)

Burfica said...

nah feed him lasagna and make him sleep with someone else. hahahaha

I love you boys. I've got an 11 year old boy myself, then the hubby is a big baby, and all our zoo of pets. (would have had more, couldn't, not even on fertility drugs) Long story.

cute shoes, with my leg problems I would have broke my neck in them, but hey I would have looked cute. hahahahaha

I bookmarked ya, hope you don't mind.

Rhea said...

Chaos-Jamie, I guess I'm a Gen Xer then. I was born in '77. Thanks for coming by!

Burfica, the dog sleeps with my 11 yr old, so I'm not worried. lol Thanks for bookmarking me, I'm flattered! Thanks for coming by!

Tammy said...

The pic of the "look" he gives you is priceless. The shoes are pretty cute too.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Retail therapy is the best. I actually went to my happy place (Tar-jay) twice this week.

Love your comment on my blog today! It was one of those days...and as soon as I am ready to laugh about it...I'll post :-)

tearese said...

Cute shoes! I would fall in those too, I need more to keep my foot in there.
I am a gen x'r too (78) who knew?
Thats awesome they went to Easter Island, thats right up there with stonehenge!

Jeff B said...

Your youngest has such a determined look. The eleven year old...well... Bwahahaha

Ron said...

Morning Rhea~

Just thought I'd stop by while I'm having my morning coffee and visit your blog.

Hey...LOVE your header!!! I SO love seals. Especially the baby harps! They are so adorable!

A very good friend of my who lives in Florida, use to live in San Antonio. She said she really enjoyed her time there.

Ok...the photo of the carmel cake in the post below is making me salivate. I love carmel more than my own life!! My god...and how many layers is that...6??? What a RUSH!!

Thanks again for stopping by my place to say hello. It's great meeting new bloggers!!!

Enjoy your Saturday, Rhea!

Irene said...

OK. I'm feeling old. I'm a baby boomer born in '48. That makes me old enough to be your mother!!!

Your posts are so funny. Love them.

Rhea said...

Tammy - the look is priceless, I agree. He gives me that look a lot these days. I have a feeling I'm not so cool in his eyes anymore.

Kat - I'm sorry you had a rough day, but glad you were able to post anyway! I love Tarjay.

Tearese - I'd love to go to Easter Island and Stonehenge, both awesome "mysterious" places.

Jeff - the younger son is definitely more intense about things at times, the older one a little more laid back.

Ron - Thanks for coming over! I took those pictures of the seals when visiting California last year. Magical trip! The caramel cake is to die for...so yummy!

Irene - thanks for the compliment! I aim for humor but often fall short. lol

Thanks for stopping by and commenting, everyone!! It's nice to know people are reading and enjoying.

carrie said...

I've stopped getting that look when I take pictures for my blog. You should see how fast they can retrieve the camera now! Although when we are in public they don't hesitate to try and humiliate me by crying out,"It's for her blllooooggg!"

And Easter Island? Jackelope was pretty fascinated with it for awhile. We did a whole school study on it with him. Only because he watched Night at the Museum one too many times...

Rhea said...

Carrie - I'm impressed you have them trained to pull out the camera for you! LOL They announce to everyone it's for your blog? Oh, no! That would embarrass me.

I forgot about the talking head in Night at the Musuem. That was funny. Bubble Gum, I think it wanted.

Anonymous said...

Amiable dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.