Friday, March 28, 2008

What's Cooking in this Pot - Answer

About a week ago, I posed this question: What's cooking in this pot? Some people guessed fudge, or pralines or peanut brittle. Jeff B came the closet with his astute observation that I was carmelizing sugar. My cousin Jana knows the answer, but she kept quiet...

The answer is Caramel Cake. It's a recipe that has been in our family for around 100 years, supposedly. Pictured below is an example of caramel cake, although mine never looks that neat and profession and never has that many layers. (I usually only do two layers.) It is the BEST cake I have ever eaten in my life. It is very hard to cook correctly, and I never get it perfect. My grandmother is the pro, she makes and sells them, and we've all been sworn to never share the recipe.

Thanks for all your guesses! I'll try to come up with another mystery photo soon.

6 comments:

Jeff B said...

I've never seen a cake like that, but then again I'm a Yankee (Oregon) I'll bet it's as good as it looks.

Rhea said...

Oh, you'r really missing out, Jeff. I've been eating this cake at family birthdays and holidays since I was a baby. It is awesome...very dangerous calorie-wise and loaded with sugar, but fabulous for special occasions.

Lady in red said...

this looks like a dream come true unfortunately it would be my worst nightmare as it would go straight to all those places I am trying to get rid of

Rhea said...

Lady in Red, I know what you mean. It's a dream come true and a nightmare, all rolled into one.

Valarie Lea said...

Ohhh that looks like what my mother in law makes. mmmmmmmm!!

Rhea said...

Valarie, your mother-in-law makes caramel cake also? It's so awesome.