Thursday, November 3, 2011

Theodora: Actress, Empress, Whore





When I was a child, I was in several plays and musicals in our local theater company.  
I was Gretl in The Sound of Music.  
I was an orphan in Annie.  
And I loved it!
(I was also a superhero, but that's another story!)

However, I wasn't forced into theater, 
I did it for fun...
unlike Theodora, 
a true historical figure 
from the Roman Empire
in the 6th Century.



Theodora started out having to dance, act and entertain as a child so that she wouldn't go hungry. 
She was also forced into becoming a whore 
& was a famous acrobat and comedian by the age of 15. 
This woman did not have an easy life, 
and eventually ended up being crowned Empress 
when she was 27 years old. 



How can you resist a story like that? 
I couldn't. 
I had to read it. 
And apparently HBO was impressed as well 
because they are turning it into a mini-series!!



And join our conversation about it over on BlogHer Books 
where we chat with the author, Stella Duffy and hold discussions.






"Theodora isn't a novel that you'll rush through, hurriedly skimming and turning each page. It's a novel you ease yourself into and then slowly enjoy, preferably with a side of good bread, even better cheese and great red wine."


I was compensated for this BlogHer Book Club review but all opinions expressed are my own.




1 comment:

Jen said...

I am going to have to remember this book. It sounds lovely and makes me wish we had HBO so that I could watch the mini-series.