Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Toy Joy

On Christmas Eve, in Austin, Texas, I ended up at Toy Joy
with my two sons and my soon-to-be-ex-husband.








We let Donny & Remy buy their Christmas gifts for each other.
which is an interesting experience, to say the least.

Toy Joy is an amazing store.
I've never been anywhere quite like it.





 







Every inch of the store is filled...
with musical instruments you can play with your nose,
collectibles, wind up toys, stuffed animals, Japanese toys, disguises, balls of every kind.






Fake ice cubes.
rubber insects.
blow up aliens.






They  hang toys from their ceilings as well...





Disco balls,
kites,
stuffed animals,
kites
Japanese lanterns...





It takes hours just to see a tiny corner of this store.

You could get lost for days exploring every inch.







It's the best novely toy store ever.






They had robots on their Christmas tree!!














I'll have to show you what the boys picked out for each other in another post.



20 comments:

Unknown said...

I've driven past that place a hundred times, but I've never gone in. I thought it was an "adult" toy store. It looks too cool, now I have to go in.

Susie said...

Wow! It looks like a toy box threw up:-)

Jen said...

Wow! What a fabulous place. I wanna go.

Carrie B said...

Congrats on being a Blogs of Note (12/29/09)! I LOVE the Smurfs! The wedding Smurfs were our rehearsal dinner cake topper. :)

J said...

Congratulations on being the Blog of Note!

I cannot believe there is a place like that! I would to go there! Haha!

Jonathan said...

Wikkedddddd. I have stores like that near where I live too. I love having the opportunity to expatiate it when ever I can! Your never quite sure what you'll find!

~JON
lifeofakidnamedjon.blogspot.com

Nadia Purnama said...

toy here and there

Trooper Thorn said...

Merry Christmas and congrats on being a Blogger Blog of Note today!

Angela said...

I came across your blog in the 'blogs of note' section just now. How funny I would see THIS post. I went to college at UT, and my friends and I would go into Toy Joy all the time and mess around or buy fun gifts for each other.

I haven't been in that store since 2005, and I no longer live in Austin.

Thank you for taking me back there again.

Terrace Crawford said...

Congrats on being the blogs o note! Just ran across your blog.

--Terrace Crawford
www.terracecrawford.com
www.twitter.com/terracecrawford

Jessica said...

As multiple people have posted before me, congratulations on blogs of note!

When I clicked on your site and saw Toy Box, my mind immediately went to "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium." Do you know that book/movie? It just made me smile.

Carlota Vasconcelos said...

Hello, Rhea! What a nice place you have... lots of colour and good words about funny things and great experiences. I'm following you. Happy New Year, gorgeous 2010 for us all!!

Suzy said...

Congrats on the blog on note! What a cool toy store!

Sophie.J said...

Just stopped say: Congratulation!
I stopped again later to see some more, my kid need some nap now.
Bye bye and take care!

divane bazi said...

Hi
Happy new year !
very Nice store , I like it !

Meg said...

Found you through Blog of Note (congratulations) and had to click through because of the Austin connection.

Especially enjoyed the ToyJoy pics :) We used to hang out there a ton as children.

hurricane heroes said...

I like that astro boy toy..

Katherine said...

Oh I love ToyJoy! I love those hand chairs!

Melanie "Meme" Burris said...

Oh how I love Toy Joy! When I lived in Austin, my co-worker and I used to go in there on our lunch breaks. I remember I bought a sweet Sock Monkey there!!

Allison said...

Found you via Blogs of Note and HAD to stop in - always fun to find fellow Texans :)

Oh, and that Toy store looks AMAZING!!