Monday, October 22, 2012

BlogHer Book Review: Diary of a Submissive

 

I just finished reading Diary of a Submissive by Sophie Morgan, 
and I have to say I've never read anything like it. 

It's a "modern tale of sexual awakening." 

I've read romance novels and erotic books, 
but I've never read a novel about bondage or sadomasochism. 
To say it was graphic is to put it lightly. 
It was explicit. 

Some of it made me blush. 
Some of it was fascinating. 
Some of it totally turned me off. 
Some of it horrified me. 

 I had a hard time relating not only to the extent that Sophie wanted to be submissive 
but how much she got off on it. 

She really laid herself bare (pun intended) to write this novel. 
It's an extremely intimate look at her sex life and her feelings. 

When I finished the book, 
I spent some time trying to figure out why the book overall turned me off ... 
and eventually I concluded 
that it was because of how primative and animalistic her desires are. 

Sex can be primitive and animalistic 
but it can also be a lot more. 
and it should be about more, in my opinion. 
It should involve love and commitment 
and a depth of feelings and intimacy between two people. 

I don't understand wanting to be submissive 
and subjected to extreme pain and punishment. 

But, to each her own. 

Join our discussion over at BlogHer Book Club

Have you ever read anything like this?


This is a paid review for BlogHer Book Club but the opinions expressed are my own.
 



 

No comments: