Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Lake of Dreams



What would you do if you discovered that your family history had an unknown story? 
One that changed much of what you believed about your family? 
Would you explore it, or would you let it be? 

In Kim Edwards' Lake of Dreams, the main character, 
searches to answer a family mystery 
while also trying to decide what to do with her life. 
The author uses nature effortlessly in all her settings, 
and the history is rich with details. 

The family secret drives Lake of Dreams, 
a puzzle that goes back generations 
and intertwines with the 1910 appearance of Halley’s comet, 
the suffragist movement in upstate New York, 
and the burgeoning early 20th-century industry in the Finger Lakes region. 

I loved the symbolism built into the earthquakes in Japan and the study of water.  
The glass making and the lock picking.  

There were so many wonderful aspects to this book, that I read it so quickly...
but for some reason was left with a sense of dissatisfaction when it was complete. 
I'm not sure why.  
But, I'd recommend it as a good read.

This book made me want to go sit down with my grandmother and listen to her memories. 
To get them down and preserve them for future generations. 
I never make the time to do that, and I really want to!

Join in on our discussion about Lake of Dreams over on BlogHer Book Club!



No comments: