Friday, October 7, 2011

How to be an American Housewife




Confession: I was embarrassed to be seen hauling this book around. 
However, my only chances to read this week were during my son's football practice 
and at the hospital while my other son had an emergency appendectomy.  
(it's been a crazy week!) 

I didn't want people to think I needed advice being an American housewife

I know that's silly. 
Let's face it, every housewife has different challenges 
but some definitely have more than most, 
and this book showcases two very different "housewife" experiences. 

The story is told from the perspective of two women, a mother and daughter.  
The mother, Shoko, was a Japanese war bride 
who moved to the USA with her American husband. 
She chronicles her experience as a housewife in America.
The other part of the story is told from her daughter's perspective, 
her grown up daughter, Sue, who was born and raised in the U.S.

What I really enjoyed about this book was the insight into Japanese culture. 
And insight into how a Japanese woman was treated in the U.S. 
following World War II. 

There are secrets and betrayals. 
Family intricacies. 
Romance and love. 

What really brought the story full circle for me, 
was when the daughter returned to Japan on her mother's request. 
That was my favorite part.





I was compensated for this BlogHer Book Club review but all opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: